Part-time (0.2FTE) Data Curation Scientist, MorphoBank
Phoenix Bioinformatics, is seeking a part-time (0.2 FTE, 8 hrs/wk) data curation scientist to enhance the content of MorphoBank, a freely accessible web resource for comparative biology, paleobiology, and evolutionary biology. If you are a detail-obsessed individual with a background in taxonomy and morphological phylogenetics, who enjoys organizing data and hunting down information, this is a perfect part-time job for you! The successful candidate will work with our dedicated team of curators, software engineers, and database developers.
This is a fully remote work opportunity with flexible hours.
Phoenix Bioinformatics is a science-focused non-profit organization based in Newark, California founded in 2013. The company supports scientific research infrastructure like databases and computing resources to ensure that valuable scientific data and software resources survive and prosper for research and education. We are an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
- US Citizenship is NOT required but you must be legally eligible to work in the US.
- Please submit a cover letter with your application explaining your suitability for and interest in this position.
- identifying and integrating morphological data matrices and associated media data from current research articles into MorphoBank
- assisting scientists with morphological data matrix submission
- providing feedback on the design of new or improved MorphoBank web interfaces and tools
- interacting with and supporting undergraduate interns with data matrix management projects
- an M.S. or Ph.D in Biology or related discipline with research experience in creating or using morphological data matrices for phylogenetic analyses
- a demonstrated ability for independent and critical thinking
- attention to detail
- excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- strong self-motivation and the ability to work well independently
Bonus Points for:
- Experience with online research databases and resources
Deadline: May 26, 2022. Prospective candidates will be contacted for a Zoom interview.
Please direct any questions about this position to Dr. Tanya Berardini, email@example.com